Motor Trade Insurance

Meadons-MotorTradeWith over fifty years experience in providing insurance for the Motor Trade Industry, we are well placed to find you the best deal for your needs.



We have access to all leading Motor Trade Insurers and several bespoke schemes specifically designed for Motor Traders so you can have the confidence that we will ensure you are fully covered at the most competitive premiums.

We can cater for all types of Motor traders, those working full time or part time and those working at a premises or working from home.


Sample lists of trades we have insured are:

  • New and Used Vehicle Sales of all kinds including cars, vans, commercial vehicles, motor caravans and trailers, etc…
  • Mechanical Repairs & Servicing,
  • MOT Testing,
  • Bodywork Repairers,
  • Auto Electricians,
  • Windscreen Fitting Specialists,
  • Vehicle Valeters,
  • Petrol/Filling Stations,
  • Tyre, Battery & Exhaust Fitters,
  • Garages with Workshops and Showrooms,
  • Mobile Mechanics and Operators,
  • Vehicle Breakdown and Recovery Service
  • Agricultural Vehicle and Mechanical Plant Specialists,
  • Classic/Vintage/Veteran Car Specialists,
  • North American Vehicle Specialists
  • Vehicle Breakers

To name but a few but we can usually accommodate any type of Motor Trader. Cover available will be largely determined as to whether you are trading from a premises or from home.

Motor Traders Combined Insurance (Premises)

This type of policy is designed to protect the assets of your business such as buildings, tools, machinery, plant, fixtures and fittings and vehicles kept at the premises. Typical cover available:-


  • Property damage to include buildings & contents
  • Business Interruption
  • Loss of Money
  • Goods & vehicles in transit
  • Public and Products Liability
  • Sale of Vehicles Liability and Servicing Indemnity,
  • Employers liability
  • Engineering inspection
  • Road Risks
  • Personal Accident
  • MOT – Loss of Licence Cover
  • Wrongful Conversion
  • Legal Expenses
  • Employee Dishonesty
  • Professional Indemnity

If you trade from home or are a mobile operator then the important covers for you will be Road Risks & Liability Insurance.

Whatever you do in the motor trade it is likely that you will have customer vehicles in your care, custody and control. A Road Risk policy is designed to cover customer’s vehicles and vehicles owned by you.


Covers available are comprehensive, third party fire and theft and third party only as per any standard motor policy.


Consideration will need to be given to the drivers required to drive and whether that is just for business use or to include social domestic and pleasure use.


If you are buying and selling vehicles the cover can be extended to include accompanied demonstration use.


Also if you are providing courtesy vehicles whilst the customer’s vehicle is in for repairs cover will need to extend to include the loan or vehicle hire extension. Windscreen cover is not automatically included under a road risk policy and cover can be extended to include this too.


Very important will be the type of vehicles you work with, as certain types of vehicle may need to be referred to Insurers.

This mainly falls under two categories Public and Products Liability and Employer’s Liability.


Public and Products Liability will protect against death and bodily injury, damage to property of Third Parties. Also it is important that cover includes liability arising from the repair, servicing and maintenance of vehicles, and liability arising from the selling of vehicles.


This is often referred to as Sale of Vehicles and Servicing Indemnity and will give you protection should you sell a vehicle with a defect or repair a vehicle incorrectly and this causes an Accident which results in injury and or damage.


Typical Limits of Indemnity available are;

  • £1 million,
  • £2 million, or
  • £5 million.

Cover under this section will also extend to include defence costs associated with claims made against you. Employer’s Liability is compulsory if you have employees and protects you against claims made from them for injuries sustained during their employment. The Limit of Indemnity is usually £10 million.


The information in respect of the Road Risk and Liability insurance is also relevant under the Motor Traders Combined Insurance.

We would be delighted to discuss your requirements either by telephone or alternatively, one of our representatives will call to see you if required.


Telephone: 01630 658455


Get in Touch